Thursday, May 5, 2016

TRAVELING


I always thought - and still think - that traveling is one of the most fulfilling experiences we can enjoy in this life. As a child, I was not privileged enough to be able to travel to faraway places. But once I started working and making my own money, I decided that I would spend a big part of my annual income traveling around the world. Of course, I have not yet managed to literally travel around the world, but I have visited countries in Europe, Asia, Africa, and America.
I would like to share with you some of my experiences traveling to some fantastic places of our world. 

TRIPS INSIDE GREECE

It goes without saying that I would start seeing new places by traveling around Greece. Being born and raised in Greece was definitely an advantage for me since Greece has so many great places to visit for all kinds of purposes, entertainment, relaxation, and even education. Let me talk to you about my country. 



map of Greece
Greece, also known since ancient times as Hellas,  is a country in southeastern Europe consisting of 2 mainland peninsulas and thousands of islands throughout the Aegean and Ionian seas. The Aegean Sea lies to the east of the mainland, the Ionian Sea to the west, and the Mediterranean Sea to the south. Greece has the longest coastline on the Mediterranean Basin and the 11th longest coastline in the world at 13,676 km (8,498 mi) in length, featuring a vast number of islands, of which 227 are inhabited.
Athens is the nation's capital and largest city, followed by Thessaloniki, which is commonly referred to as the co-capital.







Image result for acropolis of athens
The Acropolis and the Parthenon



Greece is often called the birthplace of Western civilization, and it is famous for its ancient landmarks, scattered everywhere in all parts of the country. Millions of tourists visit Athens to see the Acropolis and the Parthenon. 





I have visited most major archaeological monuments: the Acropolis and the Parthenon, the symbol of the 5th century Athens where democracy was first born and established and philosophers such as Plato and Aristotle lived; Olympia, the birthplace of Olympic Games; Pella, where you can see the ruins of the palace of king Philippos, the father of Alexander the Great; the Minoan palace of Knossos in Crete; and many more.


Apart from its great history, Greece is also famous for its islands and their beautiful beaches, from the black sands of Santorini to the party resorts of Mykonos.





Santorini is an island of unique beauty. It combines the breathtaking scenery of an active volcano next to the blue sea, a romantic atmosphere, many archaeological sites, and fantastic beaches with white, red, or black sand or volcanic pebbles. In its narrow streets, you'll see tourists from all over the world taking pictures, especially during sunset while the sun sinks in the sea behind the volcano.






Mykonos, Greece's most famous cosmopolitan 
island, is the place where almost nobody goes to bed before dawn. On this island, celebrities from all over the world, college students, and families mingle to enjoy its fantastic nightlife and celebrate the Greek summer. 

                                       

I have visited and loved the most famous Greek islands, but I have equally enjoyed traveling to more quiet and less popular ones, such as Ithaka - yes, the island and home Odysseus, the hero in Homer's Odyssey, was trying to reach for ten years after the fall of Troy - Kythira, Alonissos, and many more.


I recommend all of you visit Greece, and I can promise you that it will be an unforgettable experience.



To be continued with other countries and other experiences...

1 comment: