Traveling around Great Britain
Although I have traveled to more than 30 countries so far, I chose to devote this post to Great Britain because I stayed there for almost four months and I had the opportunity to see most parts of it and experience their lifestyle.
Where should I start from? London of course. London is the crossroads where people from all over the world can meet.
 |
| Tower Bridge |
I went to attend a teacher training course for three months and I stayed at a college in Northwood, northern London. After my morning classes, I was free to explore London. I saw the famous Houses of Parliaments' clock, Big Ben, the famous Tower Bridge, Buckingham Palace, Hyde Park, the London Eye, the murky Thames, the British Museum, and numerous other landmarks. That is a problem for tourists there; they don't have enough time to see everything. But time was on my side...
 |
| University of Cambridge |
What I also enjoyed was visiting the world-famous universities, the University of Cambridge and the University of Oxford. Especially, walking around the campus of the University of Cambridge, I was overwhelmed by feelings of awe and admiration for all the magnificent buildings and all the important people who studied there.
And now my favorite part of the trip: Scotland. It is a special place with special people and traditions. Edinburgh, Scotland's capital city, is a city which offers its visitors a combination of rich history and natural beauty. Don't forget to buy some of the well-known brands of Scottish whisky, their traditional kilts and taste haggis, their national dish.
 |
| Scottish Highlands |
The best part of that great place? The Scottish Highlands, a historic region full of castles on a mountainous land, was the Gaelic-speaking part of Scotland. Now it is sparsely populated, but the beauty of the place is breathtaking. Even the weather, mainly cloudy or wet, seems to match and intensify the beauty of the scenery. Does the photo remind you of a scene in Harry Potter films?
 |
| Highland Games |
I was also lucky to visit the Highlands when the famous Highland Games were taking place. It was a spectacle coming from the past to see huge Scottish men in their kilts competing in heavy athletic events, such as log throw, hammer throw, etc. Against the same scenic Scottish background, dancers gave dazzling displays of fancy footwork in Scottish dances, and massed bands of pipers and drummers played and marched in unison.
 |
| Loch Ness |
Needless to say, the great lake of Loch Ness is a must for all visitors. It is best known for alleged sightings of the Loch Ness Monster, aka "Nessie."
The day I was there the weather was cloudy and misty as in the photo, and it contributed to the mystery. But during my boat ride, I should confess: I didn't catch any glimpse of Nessie. Good luck to you!
Next time we are traveling to a different continent...
No comments:
Post a Comment